Sunday 10 October 2010

Bonjour mes amis... Aux armes citoyens.

France

Devon
France what a big lovely country although being part Slovenian gypsy I do not actually hold with their recent policy of repatriating my Romany bretheren, bruvvers whatever. But still I feel I have cause to celebrate the great nation of France as this weekend marks my first anniversary of the few days that I went all Bonnie Tyler and got lost in France.
I had missed the boat back from Santander in Northern Spain and Brittany Ferries steadfastly refused to allow me to travel on the next days crossing back to Plymouth if I didn't pay up £75. In a bit of a fit of pique and fortified by some rather good Cantabrian cider I told 'em where to put it. I had what I thought at the time was a rather good idea and decided to walk back to England. So off I set. I basically did the camino de santiago the wrong way round. A mixture of good fortune and public transport got me as far as Angouleme in France in only a few hours. However, that is when things came rather unstuck I knew I had £28 in my Abbey National account but when I tried to take some money out the atm rebooted itself and ate my card. So there I was in France with 7 euros to my name and a wineskin of Cantabrian cider. There was nothing else  for it. I walked and walked and walked and eventually after five days out on the road sleeping in churchyards, parks and a Red Cross hostal in Poitiers I made it to Lille. Where fortunately I managed to pick up a moneygram payment from Ian Stokey. I spent the seven euros on a phone carnet to get some cash out of him. He owed me a few quid for the work I did on his gran's hen house.
I have to say that the French people were marvelous during this oddysey. A few people just asked if I wanted a lift, the train guard after hearing my plight just wrote me out a proper ticket, the Gendarmes put me in touch with the social services who were relieved to discover that I had no intention of staying in France but were happy to give me some vouchers to get a meal and fill my knapsack at the PS headquarters in Poitiers.
I just think to myself would a skint Frenchie find such accommodation in the UK ? I have to say I think not. France and it's great republican secular espirit du coeur is a fabulous country even better when it has a lefty president.  Vive La France! Thank you France for the plums, the grapes, the walnuts, the baguettes and the response  that I, a rather footweary traveler,  received. Thank you to the people of Poitiers, Brie, La Rosnac, Ruffec and Tourniers.
Please accept this rendition of the Marsellaise as a token of my gratitude

 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4K1q9Ntcr5g

One day we also may become true republicans!

No comments:

Post a Comment