Thursday 17 May 2012

Diners left mixed-up as scrambled eggs off menu

I’ve been abroad for a bit, first time in years so I’ve missed out on whats been going on in recent weeks. As soon as I got back to Barum I gave Anne Cawood a call to see if she could bring round the Journals that I have missed all the time I’ve been away. Blimey, there’s been plenty going on and I feel as if I’ve been missing out on a quite a bit. Turns out, I have a lot of catching up to do.

I couldn’t help noticing this story as I have had a similar experience myself up there at Sainsbury’s  cafe. I feel there is a lesson to be learned somewhere in this story.

A bloke called Danny Wooliams, a local estate agent, was amazed when staff at the cafe refused to cook him and his lady friend scrambled eggs. Oddly, they told him that the scrambled eggs hadn’t been delivered that day but they would happy to do him a fried one. Young Danny by this stage was beside himself as it turns out it was his friends birthday and he wanted to treat her to a Full English. Now, myself I like an egg on egg breakfast and last week when I was staying in a hotel in Orthez France mind you I got a few queer looks when I went along the breakfast buffet and asked for fried, scrambled and poached eggs all in one bagette but the French fella seemed happy to dish it up. I suppose France is a country known for it’s cooking. Lovely. Anyway, Danny was so perturbed by this state of affairs that he went to seek out the store manager, he was hungry, disappointed and desperately wanted answers. The manager explained that the egg powder for scrambling had not been delivered that morning. At this point Danny’s suspicions had been confirmed. Sainsbury’s use powdered egg for their scrambled dish. The manager went on to explain that bizarrely they don’t have chefs up there, they only have cooks whose culinary skills only extend to heating things up. Danny was bemused by this and rather predictably he puts it all down to health and safety concerns, nothing to do with the fact that he is actually in a sandwich bar next to a supermarket and not down at the rather fine breakfast buffet in the Royal and Fortescue Hotel.

So there it is, the lesson to be learned. If you actually want a cooked breakfast patronise an establishment that actually cooks one. The Fortescue’s breakfast while bleddy lovely is a little on the steep side and also you have to dress up a bit when you go in there. I’ve been turned away by the liveried doorman several times when I’ve turned up in my waders. No for me it’s the Market Cafe all day breakfast which tickles my fancy. Very good value all served in convivial surroundings. Also upon request they’ll be more than happy to do you you an egg on egg platter.

No comments:

Post a Comment