Saturday 9 January 2010

The end of the world is nigh.

When the Taw freezes over. Crossing Barnstaple bridge late yesterday afternoon on a First Bus double decker I cast my eye down river and spied that the river had frozen over all around the bridge beneath me. Looking up river there was even more ice. I doubt that it is thick enough to skate upon as people did back in the 1940's ( I have a photo to prove it) but even I must admit that it is probably a once in a generation sight to behold. I wasn't imagining things as when I returned home there was a news item about it on BBC Spotlight. The Exe has also frozen over down by Exeter Quay trapping a gaggle of swans in the process. I am glad to report that the RSPCA rescued them. The BBC also warned people that skating on frozen rivers and lakes in the area at this present moment in time was probably not a very good idea. Positively hazardous. I don't think falling through the ice into a murky frozen brackish soup would be at the top of my list of things to do at the moment either.

No comments:

Post a Comment