Thursday 14 January 2010

Get over it Grandad

The punk generation are now, with a little bit of a push and shove, Grandads. Looking at posts on other sites we are now a bunch of dinosaurs. I always hated the hippy gits and proudly wore a bastardised version of the "I hate Pink Floyd" t-shirt. I didn't pop up to London to buy it. I went to the Blue Gallery and bought the necessary paint. I also sported at the time a leather jacket and a trilby hat which one mad Clash fan Mr S.B. described as being a disgrace to my leather. Mr B so I hear is now running a bar on the costas, apparently having done with smacking blokes about the head. I spy his brother A.B. around the town from time to time. They are both at the end of the day good blokes. I am fortunate due to having attended a comprehensive school and by virtue of being the little weasily creep, to be able to call upon these fellas as friends. A diversive way of saying that subsequently, I have never been beaten up in the town no matter what I wear or, in my drunken days, say. I am fortunately friends with hard blokes.
I digress. The original point being that old punks are now considered  a bunch of old gits who harp on about back in the day. The day to me being about the same time as the Queen's silver jubilee. To my rather warped mind sticking two fingers up about the whole thing and annoying your granny was what it was all about. Oh yeah we did have a street party in Fort Street which went un-interrupted by smack addicts as will probably happen this time around. 2011 being the diamond.
Toyah sings at Queens Hall, zonco! That is how new wave per-se has become the mainstream. If Toyah had played down here in 1979 she would have been able to fill the Queens Theatre even shit bands could sell out the John Gay rooms. However from what I seem to remember North Devon District Council decided in their great wisdom to re-launch themselves as a pedastel for mediocraty after the orchestra pit collapsed during a Squeeze gig in 1979. Consequently, North Devon C. C and it's quango
North Devon Theatres have decided to play it safe. This is something I will address later. Sufficient to say punk and it's ethos is something that stays with you all your life.  It is not a bunch of emo kids skulking down from the College. It is political theory. It was never about going up to Caterpillar in Exeter and buying the new Ruts album. Then seeing the great Malcolm Owen trashing himself  a night before he appeared on TOTPs down by the Quay.
After this rather A level missive I can only add that I may actually go and see Toyah belitng her heart out to some quasi Rocky Horror Show montrosity. No thanks I think that I'll concentrate on the Pilton Panto. Before that I am going to petition the bloody theatres to put on gigs with bands that appeal to the younger, trendy, blow ins or blow back set An example: if you put on a band like James or even try as hard as possible you could get Coldplay they would sell out in minutes. Us rather young grandads require it. How many more years  does our local entertainment consist of Toyah Wilcox in a rather bad show based on the Great Jim Steinman's brother's fleeting idea to cash in on his siblings success or some old crap that year in year out is a banker for the elder members of our community. Yes keep the meagre quids coming in with
the Bournemouth Sinfonieta and Brian Poole and the Tremeloes Silver Sixties Roadshow etc and some big name or rather not so big name comedian, just perhaps past it. Infact, I am getting a little bit wound up about this so much so that I may have to present myself at the Box Office and demand some answers.

No comments:

Post a Comment