Thursday 22 April 2010

Volcanic ash ......

I haven't been able to keep up the blog in recent weeks as I have been stuck down in 'Combe. I thought I was only going on me annual Easter Break down to the seaside which I enjoy at this time of year. However, like hundreds of thousands of my fellow Britons I didn't count on Mt Xjaaigurjussonquist erupting in Iceland. Consequently, due to the restrictions imposed by the so-called authorities on the matter, the matter being volcanic ash, on high altitude transportation, First Bus in it's wisdom and with regard to both it's fleet and the safety of it's passengers decided to suspend running double decker buses from Barum to Ilfracombe.  Therefore, due to the ensuing travel chaos I was stuck down there for the last week or so and I managed to get the first bus back out of Combe only yesterday evening. I've heard that some people, those without passes who require a walk on fare, may be stuck down there until at least the middle of next week! It has been rumoured that some Taxi drivers and less safety minded coach operaters have been making a killing ferrying passengers back and forth. Also, there was a story going about that one couple who'd popped down just for the day to clean their caravan had chartered a boat to take them over to Swansea where they then took the train to Bristol and then were forced to get another coach back to Barum changing at Taunton where they had an hour and a half wait. It took them the best part of a day and if you believe what people say cost 'em £125.
As far as I am concerned as the weather has been so nice the only impediment that I suffered was that I couldn't make it down to use the computers in the library and I missed Town's last home game of the season. More on that later.
Still, I,m glad to be back home.

No comments:

Post a Comment