Friday 23 April 2010

What's in a name......

After a conversation over a pot of coffee or two in the Royal & Fortescue coffee lounge the other morning with my old schoolmate Wilbur Whiddon I found myself this morning down at Rolle Quay checking out a point of fact that the old boy had made. He reckoned that as a matter of fact that it wasn't actually called Rolle Quay but is infact called Rolles Quay and he maintained that the old ceramic tiles bearing the place name on the wall of the pub prove this. So, I thought I would check it out on such a lovely morning. I had to go there and feed the ducks anyway so I didn't make a special trip. I'm not that mad.  Anyways, it turns out he was right! There in blue and white, what I assume to be, ceramic barumware tiles it reads Rolles Quay. (not having passed my o level English language I not sure but I think there could be a possessive apostrophe missing). So there you go I have lived all my life in this town and I'm never ceased to be amazed how you can learn something new about it everyday.
Further to this discovery I was making my way back along Rolle Street ( or I suppose it should now be known as Rolles Street) when I notice a new business premises had opened up there on the corner. I think was the old bottled gas showroom anyway it seems to have gone upmarket and has a fancy new sign telling folks that it is now Barbecue Planet and from what I can tell that seems to be just their mission, to barbecue the planet. The shop no longer sells bottles of butane but now sells bottles of butane with all manner of barbecue contraptions attached to them. Now I like a barby, love 'em all that charred meet, scrumptious.  However, it does seem a bit daft or just bleddy short sighted to call a shop Planet Barbecue as the amount of by products of combustion that their merchandise gives off is in the long term going to do just that. As a town if we want to hasten global warning we should all pop down there as soon as and take advantage of this fine weather we are having as a may not last for long. The weather, the shop or the planet...........
Here is a handy link
Planet Barbecue this weekend

No comments:

Post a Comment