Friday 24 September 2010

No, no don't stop the carnival....

A smashing time was had last Saturday watching the carnival trundle it's way around town. There were bleddy thousands there and I must have shaken hands with half of them as I walked along the route pushing Ivor Thomas's daughter's chihuaua in an old pram popping in all the pubs along the way to rattle my tin of course it was fare to say that I was blathered by the end of it but it was all in a good cause, I just wish I could remember which one. I do recall though at the end of it sitting in the Marhall's with the lads having a chat over a game of euchre and the general consensus was that although the carnival is an annual event which should be protected and certainly this year is well supported  it lacks a certain something. I don't know you have to admit that once you have seen one bunch of majorettes you have seen them all and a lot of the floats just seemed full of fat maids not doing much in particular, half heartedly waving and looking a bit cold. Someone, mentioned I think it was Ian Stokey, he said that down 'Combe they have a cycle race around the town after the parade and in that downtime before the fireworks start. That got us all to thinking what could Barnstaple have? All sorts of suggestions were put forward ranging from tug of war, rowing or gun carriage assembly. But I have to say that my idea seemed to grip everyone's imagination, bull running. To my mind there is no doubt in my mind that would liven things up. Let them loose in the Civic Centre carpark and they could be chased up the strand and into the Square where they could run amok and everyone would have to try and get out of the way before some experienced cowmen could herd them up in the Bus Station. We agreed that you could have prizes for the bravest bey and maid and for the owner of the feistiest bull. I mean they do this sort of thing all the time in Spain and they seem to have a rare old time, so why can't we. I think next time I bump into a member of the Carnival Committee I might have a word.
As we walked down to watch the fireworks at castle quay we were all very exited about this prospective addition to our annual civic entertainment. I have to say though that the fireworks this year did not disappoint,  it was the best display ever and the reflections of the cloudbursts on the Taw along with the acrid smell of gunpowder smoke was a real treat for the senses. It seemed to go on forever but I may have just been imagining it as it seemed all a bit over vivid I reckon that might have been something to do with the fact that all I'd eaten all day was a piece of banana cake from Pilton Stores I'm sure that where Stokey said it came from.

No comments:

Post a Comment