Saturday 27 November 2010

Barum Library now offers a view upon the world


Due to the climatic upheavals of the last few days I have been spending more time than usual in the Library on the computers. Infact yesterday I was marooned in there for the best part of the day. However, this was not time wasted as they were holding a workshop designed for us senior users on navigating your way around the new system that they have installed. This was all very interesting but when I went back up to the terminals I discovered that they have gone and put Google World on the system. Now this was a discovery. Of course I'd heard about this before but what was new to me was the Street View function. Someone, forget now who it was told me that they had seen a van with a weird little device on top of it circulating throughout the town back in the summer. All you have to do is click on the little cameras and you are taken to a photo of that location. I was glad to see that Barum had a little camera on it so  I zoomed in and took a little tour around the town. It was bleddy amazing. I went down Boutport Street right outside the Marshalls,
Outside the Marshalls
St Mary's Road

across the Square, along Taw Vale right up Victoria Road, I had a 360o peek at Forches Cross and see who was in the Borough Arms beer garden before carrying on up Constitutional Hill passing by Our Lady's school down Bear Street turning into Bicton Street stopping at Zephyr Cresent before climbing up to Gorwell and then back down to Frankmarsh. I turned into St Georges Road taking in the newly done up Co-Op before heading back to the library via Rolles Quay. Fantastic.
Forches Cross
It really portrays Barum as a busy little place full of people going about their day to day business. I could see Ian Sokey's grandson with beys hanging about outside the Co-op.
I caught a glimpse of me common law brother in law Michael Trout coming out of Warens.  I was also a little puzzled when I spied Ken Tisbury's  Granada outside of Annie Cawood's place in the middle of the day.  After this circumnavigation I decided to venture further afield and headed due west from Barum zooming across the bar heading out to sea. I soon lost me bearings like the ancestors often did when following this course and ended up on Furse Island in Cork Bay. I re-calibrated the little compass and set out again across the Atlantic towards the Newfoundland fisheries winding up in St Johns. They didn't have a little camera so I flew off down the coast to Barum's homophonic namesake Barnstable Massachusetts where I was able to pick up street view and take a peek around. Pretty little place but there didn't appear to be anyone about. The streets all looked very neat and tidy but they were deserted. I reckon it's a bit like Appledore full of second homes and blow ins from the East Coast cities.
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?ll=51.071015,-4.0613236&z=19&t=h&hl=enhttp://maps.google.co.uk/maps?ll=51.071015,-4.0613236&z=19&t=h&hl=en
Zephyr Crescent

No comments:

Post a Comment