Saturday 29 May 2010

Celebrity spotting part 3

Brasso. Yesterday afternoon I was going down to Crow Point on me pushbike with the trailer attached to pick up some sand for me raised beds and as I was going through Vellator the famous local DJ Brasso stepped out of one of those houses at the end of South Street. I was quite taken aback as it's not everyday that you see an ex-Radio 1 drive time disc jockey in Braunton. I know in recent years his career has taken a bit of a nosedive the last I heard he'd been sacked from the graveyard shift on Radio Devon but still back in the day he was North Devon's premier purveyor of disco tunes. I remember when he was a boy and humping his wheels of steel about in a van from village hall to village hall and school disco to school disco. Him and Janet Jensen's Silver Dollar Disco Show. He then graduated to Friday nights at Chequers and after a few years of imploring people to rock the boat or do the hustle he became destined for greater things and off he went to national radio and the bright lights of the big big big city. But his time away from North Devon obviously weighed heavy in his heart, I remember going down to a Radio 1 roadshow at Westward Ho!one year  and he clambered on stage and grabbed the mic from Dave Lee Travis he was obviously glad to be back in the area and he got everyone to sing along to Someone left a cake out in the rain by Rose Royce. DLT, the hairy monster wasn't amused and poor old Brasso was bundled off the stage by Smiley Miley and his heavies. I think that may have been the end of his career up there in broadcasting house as the next thing he's on Atlantic FM and then on Radio Devon at 5.00 am on Sunday mornings. I reckon he was in South Street as he's more than likely hosting the new karaoke night in the Mariner's Arms that has been widely advertised. How the mighty fall, still I will always hold him in high esteem for the joy he bought to tens of people on those heady cazy disco nights, tripping the light fantastic down at Chequers in 1978. Happy days.

Should you require the services of the great man please follow the link

http://www.uk-disco.co.uk/org-details.asp?OrgID=982

No comments:

Post a Comment