Thursday 20 May 2010

Two B's in Barum

There aren't two b's in Barnstaple. There used to be, but one of them is now called Club Toko. It was only a matter of time before I raised my concerns over this subject. I have to say that the insistence in some quarters 'specially the national media that Barnstaple should be spelled Barnstable sickens me. I refused to get used to it. To some extent Lidl Supermarkets GMBH can be forgiven for using the incorrect spelling on their advertising inserts as they are German and also I have to be lenient as their cold meats are very tasty and are of an  inordinately good value; infact, I would 'ave to go as far  to say that after Pilton Stores, Duggie Grattons and John Patts this is me favourite shop.**. I digress. To my mind I was born in a staple, a wool trading location, not a stable although people often ask me for some unknown reason if I was born in a barn (Always puzzled me that one).
The whole matter was compounded this morning when I was stood at the bus stop opposite in Boutport Street opposite the Con Club and Ivor Thomas's old place in order to catch a bus down to Ashford Strand to check on me night lines, perfect tide for 'em this week, when a  310 Filer's bus pulled up across the way I couldn't help but notice that on it's destination plate it was apparently bound for Barnstable. Now I could assume that this was a mistake on the part of the driver who no doubt was a blow in as they all are and he couldn't be bothered to wind the board all the way around to P or maybe I could be led to believe that Filers are now running excursions to Barnstable, Massachusetts. Who knows? I shall be in contact with 'em dreckly.  Now there's a thought, that could be the pick up point for the trip. I will definitely look into this as I have always wanted to visit the USA. I wonder if they will be putting vouchers in the Gazette, like they did that time me and Ian Stokey went to the Austrian Tyrol.

While on the matter a similar question has also occurred to me. When did Barum become Barney? Only I was on the train down to Chapleton last week and when the guard came around he asked if I got on at Barney. Now, I seem to here this more and more. I think it's to do with the youngsters. The use of this appalling appellation should be discouraged.


http://www.filers.co.uk/

No comments:

Post a Comment